Talbot EXPRESS Campervan/Motorhome Owners Club & Forum (Peugeot J5, Citroen C25 & Fiat Ducato models)
   KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE
    Register Portal  • Arcade  •  Calendar  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to talbotoc

A non-profit owners club created by an enthusiast, for enthusiasts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, please register! (completely free) join our community today!

Post subject: Zig cf8 unit
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:59 pm 

Have thanks: 34 time
membership_no: 0
Hi

My van has a ZIG CF8 unit fitted which has the battery charger included.
Can you tell me why I still need a split charge relay when using the CF8.
I assume that as both the starter and leisure battery are wired into the zig that it takes care of isolating the starter battery when the touring/onsite switch is at onsite.

Also if on site with mains hookup, will the zig charger function charge both batteries if the touring/onsite switch is set to touring?

Cheers

FT

Post subject: Re: Zig cf8 unit
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 pm 

Have thanks: 194 time
membership_no: 833
Fat Tracker
the Zig CF8 works only when you have hook up and set to onsite It then acts as a Battery Charger and Yes it does charge both the Vehicle Battery and Leisure Battery BUT Isolates the Vehicle Battery once it has reach sufficient charge.

The Split Relays only work whilst your vehicle is touring with the switch on Zig set to touring rather than onsite

The split relay/s work on LB and Fridge and once the Vehicle engine stops the relay are released the battery and fridge are now separate so your VB will have full power to start the engine

If you have a fridge with an electric ignition then it's possible that a connection to the ignitor from LB BUT NOT to run the fridge on 12v your battery would not last a couple of hours wild-camping you can only run fridge on hook up 230v or Gas

Bob

1989 Autotrail Chinook 2.0l Petrol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:06 pm 

Have thanks: 34 time
Canal92

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same way as you but now I am
confused.
The Zig CF8 wiring diagram shows that when the switch is set to "touring", the zig unit connects the LB to the VB directly. This would effectivly short the split relay rendering it useles. ie the VB and LB would be charged together by the alternator regardless of the state of the split charge relay.

It also would imply that if you have flattened your LB beacuse you have been onsite with no mains hook up then you should start your vehicle with the switch in onsite mode. To try to start in touring mode would mean you have connected your flat LB to the VB which may result in not enough power being available to the starter motor.

If this wiring diagram is correct it also shows that the mains charger only ever charges the LB and not the VB.

Please put me out of my misery somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:59 am 

Have thanks: 54 time
Hi FT

On my caravan (yeah I know what do I need one of them for) the zig unit is wired as your diagram. The feed from the vehicle battery is via a split charge relay on the towing vehicle. So presumably when wiring the zig on a motorhome its the same.
Hope that helps

Des

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 am 

Have thanks: 97 time
membership_no: 99
Yes it makes more sense to charge the LB through a relay so maybe this is what has been done as an add on.

Terry